Part 2 of Vegas week is here and at the end of the night we will learn who makes it into the Top 20. The judges will pick 10 dancers to join Twitch’s Team Street, and 10 dancers to join Travis’ team. I have my favorites and I’m sure you do too. Here’s hoping at least some of my favorites make it to the show. (Note: As always I recap the shows in “real time” according to the show.)
So You Think You Can Dance: Season 12
Vegas Week Part 2
The episode starts off with breaking up the teams into groups. I have a love/hate relationship with this event the show does: making the groups work all night to different types of music to create a routine. Yes it makes for some great drama and some great routines, but sometimes the routines are cringe worthy. Plus I watch the show to see dancing, not listen to the dancers argue.
Luckily this isn’t your typical reality show and the drama doesn’t last long.
Thoughts while watching the group routines and final choreographed routines:
- The first routine is super adorable, and it has my one of my favorite of the dancers Jessica…so that doesn’t make me biased at all.
- Dude if you’re two hours late for a group rehearsal you should be RUNNING into that rehearsal room. I already don’t like that Thomas just sauntered in like it was no big deal.
- I like how Derulo was all like “you guys are great” and Paula was like “you guys did a good job” but Travis and Nigel kept it real with saying they weren’t together (which they weren’t) and it could have been better (which it could have).
- I’m not a dancer…nor should I be…but team “Puts Black Duct Tape Over Their Mouth” had great music, great out fits, and a great look, and they were just a MESS.
- Oh man, Paula just used the word “eye sore” to describe someone’s dancing. YIKES.
- That’s how you dance to that song! à referring to Bloodline dancing to “O Fortuna.” The song that Team Black Duct Tape botched.
- Hi Sonya!
- Can a Canadian SYTYCD winner compete on the American version? I mean that just doesn’t seem fair.
- That sweet girl Antinina fought so hard. I feel like they should have let her dance for her life.
- It’s weird that there’s a tapper in Street and Stage.
- My girl Jessica is killin it. (Why do people say “my girl” she’s not really “my girl”. I don’t know her personally)
- Burmin “B1” is HOT. I’m glad his abs…HE… HE is staying.
- Asaf Goren is SO weird. And off putting. But for some reason you can’t help but root for him. Plus he’s a great dancer and he has such personality. He makes it through but it ends on a weird weird note. Sometimes things get lost in translation, I guess.
The Top 20 Revealed
- Edson Juarez
- Derek Piquette
- Alexa Meyer
- Moises Parra
- Kate Harpootlian
- Marissa Milele
- Hailee Payne
- Gaby Diaz
- Jim Nowakowski
- Darion Flores
I’m so happy my favorites Jim and Gaby made it. I’m definitely rooting for them, but aside from these two I don’t really know much about the other dancers. I’m looking forward to getting to know them.
- Yorelis Apolinario
- Liliana Frias
- Virgil Gadson
- Eddie ‘Neptune’ Eskridge
- Megan ‘Megz’ Alfonso
- Burmin ‘B1’ Jusufi
- Alain ‘Hurricane’ Lauture
- Jessica Rabone
- Ariana Crowder
- Ja Ja Vancova
My faves made it through, Ja Ja, Jessica, Burmin, and Virgil. I’m excited about the other dancers too. We definitely got to know the Street side better than the Stage side. As for the ones who didn’t make it, I have to say I’m glad Asaf didn’t make it, he’s just too much drama. And ss much as I love Standin’ O, I’m not surprised she didn’t make the cut. But I love what she does. Mary Poppins vs Ja Ja was a tough call as Mary Poppins was growing on me. But I’m always biased to Ja Ja because she has such personality. Thought it frightens me when she looks all dolled up. Twitch said it himself “Don’t let it fool you, she mean.” So glad she’s in, I’ll definitely be rooting for her to win it all.
Overall I’m so glad this show is back, but at the very end Cat makes the announcement that one of the dancers had to back out due to injury. This scares me. But we’ll have to find out next week when the competition begins. Are you ready? I know I am!